- 1982 - David Frizzell - I'm Gonna Hire A Wino To Decorate Our Home - This is just the song, not video. But anything with a title like that is on my list.
- 1983 - The Police - Every Breath You Take - Perhaps the coolest use of a chello in pop culture. I can hear the critics of the day hailing the innovative film techniques. The official stalker video of a generation.
- 1984 - U2 - Pride (In the name of love) - The best stadium rock band of all time. Bono pre-glasses. A religious song. Its got it all.
- 1983 - Weird Al - I Love Rocky Road - Probably his first big music video. Watch out for endless cheese.
- 1985 - A-Ha - Take on Me - Awesome graphics here. A flipbook artist's dream. Falsetto... why!
- 1987 - Guns N Roses - Paradise City - Typical 80s rockers. Hair, festival crowds, good guitar riffs.
- 1987 - Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up - Mr Youtube / Rick Rolled. This guy has all the smooth moves...
- 1987 - Kool & The Gang - Victory - Is this pop, R&B, Hip Hop? I am not sure. They use instruments that I have never seen before or since.
- 1988 - New Kids on the Block - This video is an instructional lesson on how to get yourself beat up. Since when is singing falsetto for an entire song cool? This one is painful to watch.
- 1988 - DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince - Parents Just Don't Understand - Does the rap community still recognize this? Can you see 50 cent doing this song?
- 1989 - Clint Black - Better Man - The quintessential country music video and song. This is what I think of when I think of the genre.
- 1989 - Metallica - One - The best metal band of all time shows off its crazy guitar skills and the crowd that goes with it.
Thursday, September 04, 2008
Oh the Diversity
I figure that it is time for a more lighthearted post. I get IMed and emailed links to cool or funny videos all the time. So today I will share a compilation of music from the 80s. Now I was very young during the decade, but I do have faint memories of some of this stuff. I am just amazed at the varied level of music that existed. Some are respectable, others I might attribute to Canada. Since I have so many to post, I will just post links and not embed them all.