Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Movie Review

. : Special : .

The Greatest Game Ever Played - 4.5/5

I can't even begin to describe how much I enjoyed this film. And for all of you non-golfers out there, my wife enjoyed it too. This is the story of a non-elite normal boy being given the opportunity of a lifetime and proving his worth. As much as this is a movie about golf, it is equally a movie about class status or a caste system that I frankly take for granted these days. For instance, I am going to play golf in two days and pay about 20 dollars for green fees and a cart. This simple public course was non existent in the early 1900s and portrayed as even forbidden.

The movie did an excellent job of displaying the mental side of golf, which non golfers rarely see and which haunts pros and amateurs alike. The old style clubs were fun to see. I am sure that the courses were easier back then and shorter as well, but with the equipment that they had, it was certainly a challenge.

This movie really showcased sportsmanship in several of the players and the opposite in many others. I was very impressed with the main character, Francis Ouimet, and even more impressed that they didn't 'fluff' up his character too much for the movie. The opponent, if you could call him that, was Harry Vardon. I loved his non-flamboyant style combined with his competitive tactics.

I would highly recommend this movie to anyone.

No comments: