Thursday, January 17, 2008

An Alternative Choice

This week has been a hard week for Dallas. Our Cowboys, who we hoped in the summer would make the playoffs, did not win the Super Bowl. In fact, they didn't even win a single playoff game. For most of my life, football has been 3rd on list of sports to follow. For professional teams it always was ordered Texas Rangers, Dallas Mavericks, and then the Dallas Cowboys. The Dallas Stars made a brief run up the charts in 99 and 2000, but that was short lived. This year I got caught up in Cowboys mania and they hopped over the disappointing Mavericks. Now though, they are back down to their normal third.

I say all of that to set up the fact that I did not watch the playoff game last Sunday. In fact, I didn't listen to much of it. Now most of the city was enthralled with the game. I was in fact curious. However, it was the weekend and my wife was craving my attention. This is a dilemma for men everywhere, and one that I think we too often choose incorrectly. I decided for one day, to give up my sports and spend time with her. I could have done this bitterly and with many snide comments, but I think I kept them to a minimum. Our afternoon involved the oh so exciting grocery shopping and other errands. In between shops I caught snippets of the game. While we were driving to get some chips and salsa for dinner, I decided to turn off the radio for a bit and just drive. We drove in silence for probably 10 minutes holding hands and it was pleasant to say the least. When I got to the restaurant and the nostril-clearing salsa, I saw on the television that the Cowboys were about to throw away the game in the 4th quarter. On my way back to the car I had an epiphany that I was so glad that I had not stressed about the game, but rather enjoyed so much just sitting in silence with her. Coincidentally, the next morning I flipped to I John and read chapter 2 verses 15-17
Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For everything in the world—the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does—comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever.
I think for once I chose the right thing, and I am really happy that it was the Cowboys and not the Rangers in the playoffs. I needed a warm up round.

1 comment:

III said...

It's true. I used to make it a point to watch PTI everyday (or listen to the podcast if I didn't watch it live) & watch "The Sports Reporters" every Sunday before church. One Sunday I was rushed so I didn't turn it on. And what did I notice? Even though I was rushed, I had a more pleasant morning. I repeated this choice the next Sunday, and the next, and now I don't watch The Sports Reporters at all. And I'm happier for it. Same with PTI. I might catch every now & again, but I don't miss it. I even remember last fall when a funeral interrupted my Alabama football fanhood. Alabama lost, and since I missed it my emotional investment wasn't betrayed because I put nothing into it.

BUT, when you miss something fantastic, such as if you had perhaps missed the greatest non-Super Bowl Cowboys playoff game of all-time, you would have still enjoyed your day but would have kicked yourself on the inside afterward. ;)

Glad you made the right choice for you & Kimberlee. She probably deserved it.